Sore throat is a fairly common disease that can affect anyone. However, if you have a sore throat during pregnancy, you should not be subjective, because some viruses that cause pharyngitis can affect the fetus.
* What is pharyngitis during pregnancy?
Pharyngitis is a condition in which the lining of the pharynx and pharynx is damaged, leading to an infection. Illnesses are mainly caused by cold or flu viruses, bacteria, fungi or irritants such as environmental pollution, erratic weather.
In addition, during pregnancy, the levels of estrogen and progesterone hormones in the body increase, which can lead to sore throat, difficulty swallowing, even swelling, pain along with other symptoms such as nausea or headache. making pregnant women feel tired, affecting their diet and daily activities.
Pharyngitis during pregnancy is not a serious disease and usually goes away after 7 days, but if not treated promptly and completely, it can affect the fetus.
* Causes of sore throat during pregnancy.
Causes of sore throat during pregnancy in the first 3 months of pregnancy can include:
Viral: Common culprits for sore throat are viruses and bacteria. Fall or spring is the time when the outbreak is difficult to control. Pregnant women with pharyngitis have a feeling that their throat is sore, hot, and burning.
– Due to tonsillitis: It is mainly caused by microorganisms. Pregnant women with sore throat mainly find it difficult to swallow, dry cough, maybe accompanied by a low fever.
– Due to respiratory diseases: If a pregnant woman has a sore throat with cough, fever is a symptom of pregnancy flu, measles or typhus. In this case, pregnant women need to go to the hospital to check and treat according to the regimen to be effective.
– Environmental pollution: When pregnant women are exposed to dust, air pollution, etc., it adversely affects the respiratory system, which easily leads to pregnant women suffering from sore throat and cough.
– Dry air: Change in weather, especially in winter when the air humidity is low, dry and cold, creating an opportunity for sore throat to occur more easily.
* Sore throat during pregnancy is dangerous?
If diagnosed and treated early, pharyngitis during pregnancy hardly causes any dangerous complications. However, a persistent cough, high fever accompanied by a sore throat is a risk you need to be careful about.
If a pregnant woman has a high fever in the first 3 months of pregnancy, it can affect the formation of the internal organs of the fetus. Therefore, pregnant women must find a way to treat the fever immediately, not to let the disease persist. You should go to the doctor if you can’t bring down the fever continuously for many days.
* How to relieve sore throat symptoms during pregnancy.
The following simple tips will help you overcome sore throat during pregnancy:
– Keep the door clean and airy; daily cleaning of household items.
Limit drinking carbonated drinks and ice when you have a sore throat.
– Drink plenty of water to cool the body, herbal teas like lemon or green tea to reduce the burning sensation in the throat.
– Steam helps reduce the feeling of stuffy nose and itchy throat.
– Gargle at least three times a day with salt water to antibacterial, expectorant.
Get proper rest and maintain a healthy pregnancy diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
– Do not share personal items with people with flu, sore throat. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap after sneezing or coughing.
– Limit going to epidemic areas or contact with people with colds and sore throats.
* What is the best way to treat a sore throat for pregnant women?
Pregnant women with sore throat during pregnancy, the use of antibiotics is extremely limited. Therefore, pregnant women should absolutely not self-medicate without a doctor’s prescription. Instead, follow these safe and effective ways to cure sore throat during pregnancy below.
* Gargle with salt water.
When you have a sore throat, you should gargle with warm salt water to reduce throat swelling and eliminate phlegm. Moreover, salt water helps kill bacteria, tighten mucous membranes, fight inflammation, reduce edema, change the pH of the throat mucosa.
* Lemon juice and honey .
Lemon and honey combined with warm water will form a good water for a sore and swollen throat. When you have a new sore throat, using honey with mild antiseptic properties, vitamin C in lemons also helps mothers strengthen their resistance, quickly overcome diseases.
* Drinking warm water helps reduce sore throat during pregnancy.
When pregnant women have a sore throat, the throat is stimulated, drinking warm water will help moisten the mucous membranes, fight bacteria, irritants that cause allergies and cold symptoms.
In addition, mixing warm water with some tea leaves is also an effective way to cure sore throat. Moreover, tea contains antioxidants that help boost immunity and ward off infections. In addition, to reduce sore throat more effectively, pregnant women can add a little honey to the tea..
* Take time to relax .
When infected, the body’s resistance declines, rest is the best way to help pregnant women with sore throat. Taking time to rest is a way to strengthen the body’s immune system and fight the invasion of the virus.
This may not be the fastest solution, but it is probably the best way to strengthen the immune system and help the disease heal quickly.
With the above simple measures, pregnant women can completely treat a sore throat at home. However, for pregnant women with more serious cases of sore throat during pregnancy, they should consult a doctor for timely diagnosis and treatment.