There are many reasons leading to slow weight gain in children such as anorexia, malabsorption, digestive disorders, and lack of exercise. So how to improve this situation and help children develop optimally? Find out in the article below!
Slow growth rickets is a bone dystrophy or soft bone condition in children, it affects the health, physical strength as well as height of children. A reasonable diet will help improve this condition effectively and help children develop more optimally.
* Causes of rickets in children.
The cause of rickets is a lack of calcium, vitamins D3 and MK7 leading to a lack of calcium in the bones. While calcium is an important micronutrient involved in many functions of the body, helping to regulate the sympathetic nervous system. Therefore, the first sign a child shows when calcium deficiency is a neurological disorder, the child often cries at night and sweats.
Especially after a long time of rickets without treatment, there will be deformities on the bones such as forehead, flattened head, more severe, at the stage when children can sit, the chest will be swollen, and then they will have other symptoms. present developmental delay in motor development such as delay in rolling, crawling, standing, walking, and teething delay.
Next is the stage of sequelae of rickets, children have deformities in the bones such as bow legs, O-shaped, X-shaped, ankle and wrist rings, or the appearance of rib beads or rib warping in the chest. At this stage, even if rickets is actively treated, only the symptoms of autonomic dysfunction will be eliminated, but the sequelae in the bones will never be eliminated.
* Appropriate nutrition for stunted children.
The nutritional care regimen for children with rickets must ensure adequate nutrients: starch, protein, fat, fiber, but must be balanced and avoid protein bias. Mothers also should not cram or force children to eat too much, avoid making mistakes in what to know when raising small children.
– Breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months and continue to breastfeed until 2 years old: Calcium in milk is more easily absorbed than in other foods. Studies have shown that only breast milk provides a full range of substances and antibodies, immune system for babies. For older children, it is recommended to choose standard milk products and provide plenty of calcium for children.
– Add foods rich in calcium, iron and zinc: Foods of animal origin, rich in protein such as eggs, milk, seafood, meat… especially foods containing a lot of zinc such as: Chicken, meat frogs, oysters… because zinc deficiency is one of the causes of rickets and stunted growth in children.
Supplement vitamin D from fat: A child’s diet should have a certain amount of fat, but it should not be too much because it is easy to cause other diseases, so choose oils made from plants.
– The diet must be suitable for the age of the child, provide adequate energy and nutrients for the child, and do not let the child go hungry or skip meals.
Vegetables and fruits are indispensable foods in every child’s meal. Eating a lot of ripe green vegetables and fruits also helps children grow in height because vegetables provide many micronutrients, moreover, preventing constipation helps children absorb micronutrients well.